Tamiya 1/35 Panther Ausf. A Part 6

After I primed it, I noticed a very obvious seam that needs to be fixed at the front.  I put some Mr. Surfacer 500 in the gap, left it to dry then used isopropyl alcohol with some Q-tips to get the excess off, followed by some sanding. Here is a picture during that process.  I then shot more Vallejo Primer into that section and left it to dry, Now onto the colors for the big cat.  Like in the airplane world there is no shortage of debate for accurate colors.  I looked at quite a few sources and did the final comparison by looking at color charts and going down to my local hobby shop to compare some of the paint in the bottles or jars. The base Tamiya colors I will be using are XF-60 Dark Yellow, XF-64 Dark Brown and XF-67 NATO Green.  From what I’ve seen these will make a ‘close-enough’…

Continue reading

Tamiya 1/35 Panther Ausf. A Part 3

The turret is now together,   There were some minor fit issues with the gun mantlet but that was solved.   Started working on the turret details such as grab handles, then hit a snag and a first for me.  A missing part. Part B11, the commander’s hatch is not on the sprue or in the box.  The bags were sealed when I got the kit so it’s likely it fell out at the factory back in the mid 70’s.  I’ve reached out to my local IPMS group to see if anyone has an extra one, but that killed the mojo for the night.   I may continue at least the assembly up to priming before deciding how to proceed.      

Continue reading