Hasegawa 1/72 F-18A Part 4

I needed to get the canopy masked in preparation for priming. Decided to try Parafilm again to mask the canopy and then carefully cut out the frames.  Took several tries but in the end, I was happy with it. I’ll have to try that technique again. You can find a great tutorial on it from a guest I had on The Scale Model Podcast, Jon Bius.   Primer was then reapplied and then a coat of Tamiya XF-20 Medium Grey with Mr. Color Levelling Thinner was sprayed on the upper half of the aircraft. In addition to masking in prior to spraying the lower half of the kit, here’s a tip I’ve done for a while.  I also spray the landing gear doors prior to putting them on the kit, in many cases, the left and right doors can look very similar, so I put them on a piece of cardboard…

Continue reading

Tamiya 1/35 Panther Ausf. A Part 9

Started working on painting the tracks.  These are vinyl tracks which always present a challenge when trying to glue them together. Fortunately, we are not at that stage yet. I primed them with Stynylrez excellent black primer. I had some Gunze rust and the original plan was to do a base coat of that.  When I checked the jar out, it had mostly dried up so decided to do a mix of Tamiya colors in the following ratios XF-52 30% XF-64 40% X-7 10% XF-56 20% Thinned to with Tamiya thinner at 50:50 and sprayed on. Quite pleased with the result. However, I will have to do a second batch as I forgot to paint the extra tracks to go on the hull, at least I remembered to prime them…..  

Continue reading