2018 Year End

As 2018 draws to a close, like other modelers who blog I should give an end of year summary.

2018 present many challenges on a personal level and it’s looking like 2019 will start off the same way. Hopefully, the stability of a full-time job will happen this year.

Modeling provided a much-needed distraction at times throughout the year. In addition, I launched The Scale Model Podcast in the fall and it is starting to take off in listenership. I’ve met some amazing people in the hobby community and looking forward to the podcast expanding into 2019.

I completed the following projects in 2018

1/48 Airfix Sea Hurricane.

1/72 Airfix TSR-2.

1/72 Tie Interceptor.

These three were started and are still underway. If I had not caught the flu in December, I’m sure at least 2 of these would be complete.

1/35 Tamiya Panther Ausf-A.

1/72 Hasegawa F-18a Hornet.

Desert diorama featuring 1/76 Airfix 88 Gun and 1/144 Bandai Gundam.

In the end, it’s not about the number of kits or to a lesser extent the quality. The most important thing is that you enjoy yourself. Seek out advice and try and learn new things if you wish it, but it’s a hobby that is meant for you to enjoy on your terms.

2019 will start by completing the 3 projects in progress, then perhaps the next 2 builds will be more sci-fi.   Stay tuned. 

Bench Update Dec 15th

I’ve been sick with a cold bug that has been going around for about a week which has really put a dampener on everything, including time at the bench.

I was going to start to apply decals on the 1/72 Hasegawa F-18a but a close look at the sheet showed some yellowing.   So they will have to spend some time in a sunny window.  The issue of course is the days are very short and rather overcast right now so it may be a while…..

The Tamiya 1/35 panther is at the point where some serious weathering needs to be done.  So I decided to start practicing some techniques I’ve been reading and viewing online.  

First up is a general rust/distress technique and I’m doing it on an old HO scale refrigerator car I have.

After some Vallejo Rust, some streaking grime, some pastels I have this as a start.  A bit extreme but helpful.

I’ve started to work on the display base for the panther.  After a coat of acrylic sealant.  Two coats of craft paint are put on and some ballast material is added to start things off.  The ballast is a test to see how well the material sticks to the wet craft paint.

Tomorrow I’m going to start playing around with Vallejo’s Earth Texture. I’ve heard very good things about it.