The Avro Lancaster like the Spitfire and Hurricane is an instantly identifiable aircraft to most English people and aviation enthusiasts the world over. Thousands of aircrew flew the four engine heavy bomber during the war and many of them did not return. One notable squadron was 617 which undertook the famous ‘Dambuster’ raid against several German dams in the Rhine region. The goal was to breach the dams and disrupt industrial output in factories in the Rhine area. There have been many kits of the Lancaster made over the years, but at the time that Hasegawa released several new ones in the early to mid 2000’s there had not been a good offering in quite some time.
It’s been a busy few weeks so I haven’t had as much time on the bench as I would like. Making some progress. Got the running gear onto the hull. Realized afterwords for this sort of running gear, I probably should have left them off so I could properly mask the wheels. Oh well, I’ll paint them carefully after the fact. Lesson learned. Got the upper and lower half of the hull put together and some of the smaller detail bits put on. Tools etc will be left off until paint is done. There is a few pieces of photoetch for headlight guards etc, All I can say about is that practice makes perfect. I know which 1 of 4 I did first and I get better with each one. :-)
I haven’t touched an armour kit in many years but I always enjoyed doing armor. Most of the kit’s back then were 1/72 scale. I have built a 1/72 WW1 Male tank and a M1 Abrams recently and enjoyed both of them. At our last local model club show I picked up this Dragon 1/35 Sherman Vc Firefly. I’ve always like the Sherman with the larger barrel of the 76.2 mm main gun. I’m looking forward to trying a newer kit. (The jury is still out on assembling the tracks!) The main hull pieces look quite good at first glance. Started construction on the road wheels and put a coat of Vallejo primer on them. Nest up will be the barrel and suspension.